Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Last One

by Allie Supernor

“The last one” Those are the words Dad last said to me, as he tucked me into bed that night. I wondered what it meant. When I woke up the next morning, he made me eggs and toast, he handed the plate to me he said “The last one.” Still confused I ate me breakfast and packed my bag for school and Dad handed me a brown lunch bag with my name scribbled on the front of it, “The last one” he said. He said it emotionally that I started to get nervous. What did he mean by this?! I got my coat and shoes on, threw my bag over my right shoulder and headed towards the kitchen where he sat drinking coffee and reading The New York Times. I bent down and pecked him on the cheek and he whispered “The last one”. I began to get very scared by this, so I confronted him about it.
“Daddy,” I began timidly, “Why do you keep saying that phrase?”
He simply replied, “Have a good day, darling.” He wouldn’t even look up from his paper, so I knew the conversation was over.
I walked out of the kitchen and through the doorway, yelled like usual, “Love you!” and went outside. I walked to the bus stop and took the bus to school. Classes went by very slowly as usual. At last the bell finally rang for school to be out. I texted my Dad, like always, notifying him I was taking the bus home and that I was on the bus safe and sound. Dad has been overly protective since Mom died. He never was the same since Mom died. He misses her terribly, and always talks about how he can’t wait to go to heaven to be with her. It drives me crazy! But this time, his response to my text was the same as it had been the whole damn day “The last one,” I slammed my phone shut, very aggravated with this message. Finally the bus reached my stop. I got off and walked home. I stepped up each step to the front door and saw a note posted on the door “The last one.” Okay, now I was getting really mad. I tore off the note, ripped it apart, threw it in the air and watched it fall to the ground. What is going on!? I stepped inside and the house was completely empty, no one was here! Dad was gone...
I was so confused and scared. I started to yell out his name “Daaadddd?” No response.
My stomach dropped, I was feeling really uneasy. What do I do? I tried one more time.
“Daaaddddy?” “This isn’t funny!” I yelled nervously.
Calm down, Sammie! He probably went to the store, he will be back soon and you can give him a big squeeze, I thought. If only it was that simple. Did his absence have anything to do with those notes? It had to! Should I call the police?
I rushed over to the kitchen, slipping and sliding in my socks, and reached for the phone. I quickly dialed 9-1-1.
“Hello, I just got off the bus and no one is home, and Dad is always home!”
I breathed very heavily, waiting for a response. Click. They hung up.
I searched my house, he had to be here! I though about the note, shredded on the front steps, and that scary phrase he had been repeating all day. What could it mean?!
I decided it would be best to search the house. I bolted up the stairs. I reached the top of the stairs, out of breath I strolled down the hall to his bedroom. He is probably just laying down taking a nap. He wasn’t there. I walked over to my bedroom, spare bedroom. He wasn’t in any of the bedrooms. Okay, he isn’t taking a nap in the bedrooms. Where else could he be? I sprinted over to the bathroom. Maybe, he is just taking a shower and couldn’t hear me calling. I opened the unlocked door, and went in. I pulled back the shower curtain. Dad couldn’t hear me because he was drowning. He was under a tub full of water. Oh no! I reached down by his neck to pull his head up the best I could. His body just slipped down further in the tub. It was clear, he was dead. I began to cry, I lost my mother and now my father killed him self! Why!!!? Right then, I knew my life would never be normal again.

No comments:

Post a Comment